Hong Kong - Apply Now
Study international business in Hong Kong!
Hong Kong in 2014
May 25-30, 2014
Dr. Marilyn Taylor, Arvin Gottlieb/Missouri Chair of Strategic Management, will lead the trip to Hong Kong. Dr. Taylor has previously led trips to Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong.
Contact: Dr. Taylor.
Dr. Lisa Zhao Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, will assist with the trip.
Contact: Dr. Zhao.
A program overview meeting for all participants will be held on Saturday, April 5 from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. in room 12 of Bloch Heritage Hall. Applicants will be notified of the date and time for the required pre-departure orientation. This is expected to be a Friday daytime session lasting up to 2 hours.
Two additional pre-trip meetings will take place on Saturday, April 12 from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and Saturday, May 3 from 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
For the international portion of the trip, students will be expected to arrive in Hong Kong on May 25 with the first activities taking place that afternoon/evening. Official class-related activities will end by 5 p.m. on May 30. Hotel accommodations will cover 6 nights, May 25-30 so students can plan to depart May 31.
One additional class meeting may be held in the summer after the trip.
Hong Kong is truly an exceptional city! This densely-populated region is located on China's south coast. It is a former British colony with an impressive skyline filled with modern skyscrapers and is home to many corporate headquarters. Previous business visits in Hong Kong have included Hasbro, Ernst & Young and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. The group visited Li & Fung, a large product design, sourcing and logistics company, and was briefed by the chief city planner. A ferry excursion to Macau, a former Portuguese colony, provided an opportunity for a behind the scenes tour of one of the area's largest casinos.
Students who participated on previous trips have enjoyed the bird's eye view of Hong Kong, the harbor and surrounding areas from atop The Peak (Victoria Peak), a mountain on Hong Kong Island.
Students are responsible for the following program costs:
- $700 deposit* to be submitted with the program application. The deposit, less $100, is refundable until accommodations must be finalized (by March 1). If an application is rejected, the entire deposit will be refunded. This deposit covers accommodations and some local transportation
- $25 subscription fee to StudioAbroad, the application software used by International Academic Programs
- 3 hours tuition (this class will be part of the summer semester)
- International airfare to/from Hong Kong
- Meals in Hong Kong
- Partial local transportation costs
- Miscellaneous expenses including entry fees to cultural sites
- Passport costs, if you do not have a passport already
- University-required HTH health insurance
*Due to currency fluctuations and rising prices, students may be required to pay additional funds prior to the trip.