Hong Kong - Apply Now
Study international business in Hong Kong!
The Hong Kong Summer 2015 program has been cancelled.
Hong Kong in 2015
May 23-29, 2015 (tentative)
Application deadline April 9, 2015
Dr. Marilyn Taylor, Arvin Gottlieb/Missouri Chair of Strategic Management, will lead the trip to Hong Kong. Dr. Taylor has previously led trips to Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong.
Contact: Dr. Taylor.
Dr. Lisa Zhao Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, will assist with the trip.
Contact: Dr. Zhao.
A program overview meeting for all participants will be held on Saturday, April 11 from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Location TBA.
Additional class meetings will be held Saturday, April 18 or Saturday, April 25 and Saturday, May 2. Time and location TBA. The University's required pre-departure orientation will be held on Saturday, May 2 from 12-1 p.m. Location TBA.
On-line content will supplement classroom-based sessions.
For the international portion of the trip, students will be expected to arrive in Hong Kong on May 23 with the first activities taking place that afternoon/evening. Official class-related activities will end by 5 p.m. on May 29. Hotel accommodations will cover 7 nights, May 23-29 so students can plan to depart May 30.
One additional class meeting may be held in the summer after the trip.
Hong Kong is truly an exceptional city! This densely-populated region is located on China's south coast. It is a former British colony with an impressive skyline filled with modern skyscrapers and is home to many corporate headquarters. Previous business visits in Hong Kong have included Hasbro, Ernst & Young and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. The group visited Li & Fung, a large product design, sourcing and logistics company, and was briefed by the chief city planner. A ferry excursion to Macau, a former Portuguese colony, provided an opportunity for a behind the scenes tour of one of the area's largest casinos.
Students who participated on previous trips have enjoyed the bird's eye view of Hong Kong, the harbor and surrounding areas from atop The Peak (Victoria Peak), a mountain on Hong Kong Island.
Students are responsible for the following program costs:
- $700 deposit* to be submitted with the program application. The deposit, less $100, is refundable until accommodations must be finalized (around April 15). If an application is rejected, the entire deposit will be refunded. This deposit covers accommodations and some local transportation
- $25 subscription fee to StudioAbroad, the application software used by International Academic Programs
- 3 hours tuition (this class will be part of the summer semester)
- International airfare to/from Hong Kong
- Meals in Hong Kong
- Partial local transportation costs
- Miscellaneous expenses including entry fees to cultural sites
- Passport costs, if you do not have a passport already
- University-required HTH health insurance
*Due to currency fluctuations and rising prices, students may be required to pay additional funds prior to the trip.
An optional pre-trip will be offered before the start of the formal Hong Kong residency. The destination will be selected by the class and options include: Tokyo, Japan; Seoul, South Korea or extra days in Hong Kong. The pre-trip will focus on cultural and sight-seeing activities. Depending on the destination selected, the pre-trip will run either May 20-22 or May 21-23. Application deadline April 25, 2015.
- Administrative fee of $150 or $200 ($50 per night) payable at sign-up
- Accommodations for 3-4 nights
- Transportation to and from the pre-trip locale (if Tokyo or Seoul is selected)
- Local transportation and entry fees