London - Apply Now
Travel to London, England!
The International Study in Business Course: MGT470, MGT 5552 or FIN 340, FIN 5552 (3 credit hours) will be offered during the summer 2016 semester.
Dates for International Travel:
May 28th-June 3, 2016
Scholarship Application Deadline: February 19, 2016
*Scholarship support is available through the Bloch School. The Special Bloch Study Abroad Scholarship application deadline is February 19, 2016. Please contact the UMKC Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at 816-235-1154 to see what other aid may be available for your study abroad program.
Program Application Deadline: March 4, 2016
Program Deposit Deadline: March 18, 2016
*Program deposit is non-refundable after March 18, 2016. Deposit will be applied towards the cost of hotels.
Special Scholarship Application - Coming Soon
Dr. Fred Hays, Henry W. Bloch Missouri Endowed Chair in Financial Services, Chair, Department of Finance and Director of Bloch Global Study Abroad Programs, has over 20 years of experience leading study abroad trips.
Contact: Dr. Hays.
Dr. Nancy Day, Associate Professor, Human Resources and Organizational Behavior, is scheduled to accompany the class during the trip. She is assisting with this course for the seventh year.
Contact: Dr. Day.
**International Academic Programs (IAP) Pre-Departure Orientation for Bloch School Faculty-Led Summer Programs (For travel during the months of May, June and/or July 2016) has been scheduled for Saturday, April 30, 2016 from 8:30 am - 9:30 am in BEH 324..
Additional class meetings will be held before departure on: April 16, 23, and 30.
- Saturday, April 16, 8:00 am - 12:00 noon, location TBD
- Saturday, April 23, 8:00 am - 12:00 noon, location TBD
- Saturday, April 30, 8:00 am - 12:00 noon, locationTBD
The University's required pre-departure orientation will be held on Saturday, April 30 from 8:30 am - 9:30 am in BEH 324.
On-line content via Blackboard will supplement classroom-based sessions.
The international portion of the course runs from May 28 - June 3 (7 nights).
One additional class meeting may be held in the summer after the trip.
London is one of the truly great world-class cities. It is a mix of diverse cultures, a hub of finance and commerce and a center of performing arts and entertainment. British history is an important part of our own history. The British monarchy and British tradition are legendary. We strive to provide a balanced overview so students may savor the depth, breadth and richness of the unique London experience.
Each year we attempt to deliver a high-quality program that takes advantage of available opportunities. Two different years the group attended the State of London Debates hosted by the Mayor of London. Special lectures at venues such as the London School of Economics provide students with additional opportunities.
- This 3-hour, credit course centers around several visits with companies with operations in London. Recent visits have included Cerner-UK, Populous (HOK), Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and McGraw-Hill to discuss current issues with senior managers. We have also arranged professionally guided walking tours of the Financial District in the City of London, the 2012 Olympic sites and the new business center of London--the Docklands. We have also toured the Houses of Parliament and met with a Labour MP.
- Cultural visits have included sites such as the Royal Observatory at Greenwich and the Imperial War Museum.
Free time is provided for personal exploration of historic sites and famous attractions, public lectures, bustling markets, world-class theatre and opera, nightlife and other activities. In your free time you may wish to visit the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, the British Museum, Soho, Madame Tussaud’s, Hyde Park and many other famous sites. Enjoy a walking tour of the Beatles sites or perhaps a "Jack the Ripper" tour. Join us for a pub crawl of some of the most famous pubs in British history.
Students are responsible for the following program costs:
- $700 deposit due March 18, 2016. The deposit is non-refundable after March 18, 2016. If an application is rejected, the entire deposit will be refunded. This deposit is a down payment toward accommodations
- $25 subscription fee to StudioAbroad, the application software used by International Academic Programs
- 3 hours tuition (this class will be part of the summer 2016 semester)
- International airfare to/from London
- Meals in London
- Local transportation costs
- Miscellaneous expenses including entry fees to cultural sites
- Passport costs, if you do not have a passport already
- University-required HTH health insurance
*Due to unpredictable price increases and currency fluctuations, students may be required to pay additional funds prior to the trip.