London - Apply Now
Travel to London, England in January 2015!
London in 2015
January 3-9, 2015
Application deadline October 30, 2014
Dr. Fred Hays, Henry W. Bloch Missouri Endowed Chair in Financial Services, Chair, Department of Finance and Director of Bloch Global Study Abroad Programs, is leading this first intersession trip to London. He has nearly 20 years of experience leading study abroad trips.
Contact: Dr. Hays.
Dr. Nancy Day, Associate Professor, Human Resources and Organizational Behavior, is scheduled to accompany the class during the trip. She has assisted with this course for the last six years.
Contact: Dr. Day.
A common overview meeting for all study abroad participants will be held on Saturday, November 1 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. in room 213 BEH.
One additional class meeting will take place on Saturday, December 6 from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. in room 212 BEH. On-line content will supplement classroom-based sessions.
A mandatory orientation provided by the International Academic Programs Office will be conducted on Saturday, December 6 from 12-1 p.m. in room 212 BEH.
The international portion of the class will call for students to arrive in London on Saturday, January 3. Formal class activities will conclude the evening of Friday, January 9. Students will be able to travel to a new destination or return home on Saturday, January 10.
One additional half-day Saturday session will be held on February 21, 2015, from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Location TBA.
London is one of the truly great world-class cities. It is a mix of diverse cultures, a hub of finance and commerce and a center of performing arts and entertainment. British history is an important part of our own history. The British monarchy and British tradition are legendary. We strive to provide a balanced overview so students may savor the depth, breadth and richness of the unique London experience.
Each year we attempt to deliver a high-quality program that takes advantage of available opportunities. This intersession class will focus on London as an international financial center. Course content will include material from FIN 340/FIN 5552, Global Financial Markets and Institutions, such that this course can be counted as FIN 340/FIN 5552 or as MGT 470/MGT 5552.
- This 3-hour, credit course centers around several visits with companies with operations in London. Visits may include Lockton, the Bank of England, Lloyd's of London and Swiss Re to discuss current issues with senior managers.
- Cultural visits have included sites such as the Royal Observatory at Greenwich and the Imperial War Museum.
Free time is provided for personal exploration of historic sites and famous attractions, public lectures, bustling markets, world-class theatre and opera, nightlife and other activities. In your free time you may wish to visit the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, the British Museum, Soho, Madame Tussaud's, Hyde Park and many other famous sites. Enjoy a walking tour of the Beatles sites or perhaps a "Jack the Ripper" tour. Join us for a pub crawl of some of the most famous pubs in British history.
Students are responsible for the following program costs:
- $700 deposit* to be submitted with the program application. The deposit, less $100, is refundable until accommodations must be finalized (around November 1). If an application is rejected, the entire deposit will be refunded. This deposit is a down payment toward accommodations
- $25 subscription fee to StudioAbroad, the application software used by International Academic Programs
- 3 hours tuition (this class will be part of the spring 2015 semester)
- International airfare to/from London
- Meals in London
- Local transportation costs
- Miscellaneous expenses including entry fees to cultural sites
- Passport costs, if you do not have a passport already
- University-required HTH health insurance
*Due to unpredictable price increases and currency fluctuations, students may be required to pay additional funds prior to the trip.
Ring in the New Year in London with this optional pre-trip! Enjoy additional time to see the sights in London and the surrounding area. The pre-trip will run Tuesday, December 30, 2014-January 3, 2015 (morning). Application deadline is November 14, 2014.
- $200 administrative fee, due with pre-trip sign-up
- Accommodation costs
- Transportation expenses
- Entry fees
Payment for some of the expenses may be collected in November/December to ensure availability of rooms, etc.