You may apply to and begin the M.S.F. program in any semester. Our priority deadlines are the following:
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: December 1
- Summer: May 1
You are encouraged to apply by the priority deadlines, but we do offer rolling admissions. However, if your completed application is not received by a semester’s priority deadline we cannot guarantee admission for that semester.
Admission to the M.S.F. program is selective. A completed application includes all of the following:
UMKC application, plus application fee.
Official transcripts* (one copy) from all colleges/universities attended, sent to:
UMKC Office of Admissions
120 Administrative Center
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
*You must have completed a bachelor’s or first level professional degree from a regionally accredited institution.
An official Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) score.
- Applications without a GMAT score (or similar test, see below) are viewed as incomplete and no admissions decision will be rendered.
- An unofficial GMAT score can be used for admission. Your official score must be received within the first semester of enrollment. (An unofficial score is the hard copy you receive after taking the test.)
- Exams other than the GMAT will be considered, but test waivers are not granted.
- Average GMAT scores of admitted students range from 450-740.
- Test scores cannot be more than five years old at the time of admission.
- The Bloch School’s GMAT code is F77-XF-18.
- Economically disadvantaged students may apply for a very limited number of GMAT fee waivers. The fee waiver information form is needed at the time the exam appointment is scheduled. Applications are considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Receipt of a GMAT fee waiver is not a guarantee of admission.
A current resume. This can be submitted via email.
A one-page goal statement that describes your career plans, why you desire to attend UMKC, and why you want to obtain the M.S.F. This should be your own original writing. Any quote used should be properly attributed to the author. This can be submitted via email. Please make sure to include your name on all documents.
Information about your current employment (part time/full time, and related travel commitments). This should be included in the goal statement. Please make sure to include your name on all documents.
International students should start the process with UMKC’s International Student Affairs Office.
- If you are not exempt from the TOEFL requirement (see the list on the ISAO web site), a minimum TOEFL score of 550 paper/213 computer/79-80 internet is required. An IELTS score of 6.0 or higher will be considered in lieu of the TOEFL.
- TOEFL waivers are not granted.
- Provisional admission to the Bloch M.S.F. without GMAT or TOEFL scores (if applicable) is not available.
The Bloch School reviews completed portfolios in the order received and will inform you of admission committee decisions in writing, mailed to your address. You should allow two-four weeks from when the complete portfolio is received by Bloch until there is a decision from the committee.
- Minimum score of 450 on the GMAT or equivalent score on the GRE based on comparison chart.
- Scores at or above the 10th percentile in the verbal and quantitative sections of the GMAT
- Exam scores must be less than five years old at the time of consideration for admission
- A total of 1000 points using the formula 200 x undergraduate cumulative GPA + GMAT score
- For international students, if required, TOEFL score of 550 paper/230/computer/79-80 internet or an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher
Applications are reviewed by an admissions committee. A student’s previous academic record, statement, resume and exam scores are all considered by the committee. Meeting the minimum requirements noted above does not guarantee admission.
Alternate exam scores: Faculty will consider GRE based on ETS GMAT/GRE Conversion chart. Also considered will be the LSAT and PCAT scores. For the LSAT and PCAT, generally scores must be at or above the 50th percentile in each section of the exam. Scores must be less than five years old at the time of consideration for admission.
Letters of recommendation: None are required as part of the application process.
Work experience: None is required to be accepted to the Bloch M.S.F.
Prerequisites: Students without prior preparation in accounting, economics, finance and statistics may be required to take additional courses beyond the 33 required hours.
Transfer credit: we will accept up to six (6) credit hours applicable to your program and completed with distinction at an accredited institution. An official transcript must be supplied. All transfer credit is approved by your academic advisor during your first semester.
Tuition: The UMKC Metro Rate (in-state tuition) is available to graduate students who are residents of the following Kansas counties: Atchison, Douglas, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Leavenworth, Miami, Osage, Shawnee and Wyandotte. Part-time domestic students in the M.S.F. program (which means one class (three credit hours) to two classes (six credit hours) in fall and spring semesters, and one class in summer semester), you will pay in-state tuition regardless of your residency*. View the UMKC tuition and fee schedule.
*International students should consult UMKC’s International Student Affairs Office regarding tuition and fees.
Financial aid/scholarships: In order to be given financial aid/scholarships, you must be admitted to UMKC as a degree-seeking student. The priority deadline for financial aid is February 1, which means you should apply early in order to be considered for the best possible financial aid package.