Ecosystem of Integrated Learning
One component of the new Bloch MBA program is a series of short non-credit courses comprising our "Ecosystem of Integrated Learning." Attending three of these courses (or other Bloch non-credit events) is a graduation requirement for students in the new MBA and completely optional for students in the earlier MBA program. Bloch alumni who want to reconnect to the school are also invited. For the spring, we will be offering the courses described below. Please RSVP if you intend to attend so that we know how many handouts to provide.
How to Draw Recruiters to You (Used to be HELPING RECRUITERS FIND YOU)
Saturday, Feb 22, 9:30 - 11:30 am, BEH 213 Laptops required for this session.
According to a Jobvite survey in 2012, 92% of employers use social media in their recruitment; 73% have hired using social media. So, how do you make it easier for recruiters to find you? You will learn the steps you need to take to make yourself more visible... and appealing... to the appropriate corporate and third-party recruiters. In addition, we will discuss how to polish and protect your digital reputation. Presenter will be Dr. Pam Dobies, Director of the Bloch Career Network. If you plan to attend, please RSVP by noon on Wednesday, February 19 via email to email@example.com.
Behavioral Interviews and Careers at Cerner (including a free lunch!)
Friday, Feb 28, 11:30 am - 2:30 pm.
The first time you encounter a behavioral interview, it can put you off-balance. I contacted a major user of the technique, Cerner Corp, to see if they would be willing to conduct a seminar at UMKC on how to prepare for behavioral interviews. They suggested doing a seminar at their site and to include material about careers at Cerner. So, we will be breaking with tradition by offering an "Ecosystem" class off-campus. The location is Cerner's World Headquarters (directly behind North Kansas City Hospital), 2800 Rockcreek Parkway, North Kansas City, MO
Event Space: "The Round." If you plan to attend, please RSVP by noon on Monday, February 24 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
11:30 am - Bloch alumni and MBA student lunch begins; buffet open
11:45 am - Lunch program begins
- Welcome and Purpose
- Dean's address
- Chance for alumni to provide feedback
1:00 pm - Lunch concludes
1:15 pm - MBA recruiting event - Welcome and Cerner Story Presentation
1:45 pm - Overview of Velocity Opportunities and Behavioral Interviewing
2:30 pm - Depart Cerner
The luncheon is a networking event for both MBA Students and Bloch alumni who work at Cerner. MBA Students who wish to attend this have the option of coming for both the luncheon and the 90-minute recruiting event that follows or else arriving for just the recruiting/ecosystem event.
Personal and Professional Selling taught by Bob and Linda Bennett
Saturday, March 1, 9:00 - 11:00 am, BEH 330
- Linda Bennett, BS, MA has 10 years as an Educator and 25 years in Professional Selling and Business Management. Linda is currently President of COMMWORLD of Kansas City (CWKC). In 2005 Linda was honored to be chosen as one of the 25 Women Who Mean Business in Kansas City. This honor was sponsored by The Kansas City Business Journal, Humana, The Kauffman Foundation, St. Luke's Health Systems and UMKC Bloch School of Business. COMMWORLD was also chosen as one of the 25 Under 25 Businesses in Kansas City as sponsored by Small Business Monthly (Thinking Bigger Business), Sprint and UMB.
- Robert Bennett, BBA, MBA is the Founder and CEO of COMMWORLD of Kansas City. Bob founded CWKC during the recession of 1981. It is the only independent Telecom Company in the KC area that, 30 years later, is still owned and managed by the original founders. Bob has been in Professional Sales and Business management for 40 years and has received numerous sales and business awards. Currently Bob serves on the UMKC Block School of Management Deans Advisory Council and is a contributing columnist for the KC Business Magazine on business philosophy.
- In 2005 Bob, Linda and COMMWORLD were chosen to participate in the Helzberg Entrepreneurial Mentoring Program. HEMP is a three year business mentoring program created by Barnett Helzberg to help small businesses grow and prosper. Both Bob and Linda still participate in the program as Graduated Fellows.
- The course will be an interactive 100 foot to 30,000 foot overview of the who, what, why, when, where, which and how of both personal and professional selling. The presentation will be informational, interesting and entertaining. If you plan to attend, please RSVP by noon on Wednesday, February 26 via email to email@example.com.
First Steps to a Successful Job Search
Saturday, March 8, 9:30 - 11:30 am, BEH 213 Laptops are advisable.
You decide you need a new job: Now what? Where do you start? What tools do you need? How do you capture attention from recruiters and hiring managers? How can you manage this process efficiently? How can you be sure all your work will actually get you the job you want? We will fill your job search toolkit with tools and a job search map that have proven to lead to a successful outcome - a job that is right for you! Presenter will be Dr. Pam Dobies, Director of the Bloch Career Network. If you plan to attend, please RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Wednesday, March 5.
Advanced Formatting in Excel
Saturday, March 15, 1:00 - 2:30 pm, Bloch 5.
In this 90-minute overview, you'll see demonstrations of and do your own conditional formats, table formats, and custom formats in our computer classroom. Presenter will be Dr. Roger Pick, Professor of Management Information Systems. If you plan to attend, please RSVP via email to email@example.com by noon on Wednesday, March 12.
Advanced Functions in Excel
Saturday, April 5, noon - 3:00 pm, Bloch 5.
This will be a three hour overview of some of the more advanced yet useful functions in Excel, including DATEDIF, IF, logical functions, text functions, and lookup functions. You will be encouraged to try your hand at these problem-solving tools as they are demonstrated in our computer classroom. Presenter will be Dr. Roger Pick, Professor of Management Information Systems. If you plan to attend, please RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Wednesday, April 2.
If you intend to attend any of these events, please RSVP no later than noon on the Wednesday before so we can both give the presenters a count of how many will be participating and ensure the event is scheduled in a sufficiently-large room.
We will also give credit towards this requirement for employer-supplied training and leadership roles in philanthropic activities.
How to get credit for these events?
For the events on this flyer, there will be a sign-in sheet. Everyone who signs in will be credited automatically. Otherwise, sign into Blackboard (http://blackboard.umkc.edu) » Master of Business Administration » Information » Ecosystem of Learning 1 (or 2 or 3). Then either upload a flyer describing the event or upload certificate of completion or enter a very brief description of your event manually; then click on the "Submit" button. The MBA Director, Dr. Pick, logs onto Blackboard about once a month to review submissions.